Saturday, January 12, 2013

That moment.

What made me happy today? That moment when you suddenly remember something you could not remember a few hours before.
It was last night over dinner. My friend and I were having a conversation about movies, when suddenly the question came. 'What is the first sentence spoken in Star Wars: A new hope?'
Little backstory here: I was 8 years old when I first saw the original Star Wars trilogy. It was love at first sight. I have since seen the movies over a hundred times and know them by heart. At least, until that question came.
I desperately searched my memory for the answer. And drew a total blank. I did come up with the character that spoke the first sentence, C-3PO. But not being able to answer the question, we moved on.
Fast forward to a few hours later. I was brushing my teeth and suddenly the answer popped into my mind. 'Did you hear that? They shut down the main reactor. We'll be destroyed for sure.'
This is not the first time it happened.You know the feeling. You're desperately searching for a name, an answer to a question you're sure you know, but you can't remember for the life of you what it was. And then, a few hours later, as you lie in bed or are doing something totally unrelated *ping* the light goes on. You remembered! And the answer was so obvious you feel kind of silly for not being able to remember.
It's just one of those odd things our brain does on occasion. It can be quite frustrating. But if you go do something else you'll most likely remember what it was. And if not, well, there's always Google or Wikipedia ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment