Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Grandma

What made me happy today? Remembering my grandmother.
One year ago today my grandmother passed away. Losing her was hard, but I've had her with me for 27 years. 27 beautiful years, filled with so many good memories of her.
She was a midwife, and worked both independently and later on in a hospital. Oh, the stories she would tell! Mid 50's hospitals without running water etc. She was my inspiration to go to nursing school. When I graduated, she was oh so proud!
When I was little she used to take me (and my sister and/or cousins) to a nearby city in her little white Toyota. We'd go out for a hamburger or an ice cream, and she'd have a coffee with a little pot of hot water on the side. She'd add the water to her coffee if the coffee was to strong, because she didn't like milk. Even though my grandma was a picky eater, she'd always have the family well supplied with all kinds of food on holidays or special occasions.
Even though she had a lot of grandchildren, she always tried to keep up with was going on in our lives. Of course, sometimes she'd get confused between all of us. Especially when my sister and I decided to change haircolors at the same time. I dyed my hair blonde (my sister's natural haircolor) and she dyed hers brown (my natural haircolor). It was kind of funny.
My grandma would be so proud of us when we got good grades. But then again, after I finished my third degree while working, she asked me if I planned to use all my diplomas as wallpaper. She could be quite frank at times.
It's sad that she died, but she was almost 89 years old. She was, and always will be, one of the women I look up to in life. And I'm just glad I got to spend all that time with her, learning so many things from her and creating happy memories.
Losing a loved one is never easy, but I always try to find comfort in the memories I have of them. It's not much, but it's all I have left. And even though it may be a bit bittersweet, it makes me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment