Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Snow

What made me happy today? Snow!
I like snow. A lot. It makes everything look so pretty. The world seems a bit more silent when snow covers everything and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside. Not to mention that is was the kind of snow that makes that nice crunchy sound under your boots.
We don't get a lot of snow here in Belgium and when we do, it usually means chaos. It once took me 3.5 hours to get home when it started snowing unexpectedly. This country seems to stop functioning when there's more than 1 cm of snow on the ground.
I'm usually prepared for snow. I have a pair of awesome snow boots, a nice warm hat, coat and gloves. Sadly, it seems like a lot of people don't. I saw a lot of women wearing high heels this morning, only to look very surprised when they slipped and almost fell.
In general, this country almost never seems to be able to deal with snow. But this time it was different :-) The busses were pretty much on time, the trains had some issues and the traffic jams were not that bad either. There were two snow plows on the roads this morning. (never saw a snow plow IRL before, so that was a bonus) I even managed to make it into the office without too much delay. And the snow just kept on coming. When I arrived at work, it had just started snowing again and it didn't stop until around 3 o'clock in the afternoon. So I was kind of afraid about the ride home, and how long it would take. But my fear was unfounded, as it all went very smoothly :-)
Using public transportation on snow days has it's advantages: more time to enjoy the view, no need to pay attention to the road etc.
Besides, snow means that my inner child can come out and make a snow man. After which I will go back inside, make some hot cocoa and curl up on the couch under my fleece Wall-E blanket with a movie or a book. Perfect winter evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment