Sunday, May 26, 2013

Books

What made me happy today? I love books!
I love reading. A lot. I read tons of books. I have tons of books. That's also one of the reasons I got an e-reader. An e-reader can store a whole lot of books, and doesn't take up that much space. Yes, I kind of ran out of space for actual paper books :-s
Reading is awesome, as this article shows. Books allow me to escape into a different world. They allow me to live out fantasies, dreams, hopes, wishes and tons of other things. Yes, I have cried over the deaths of fictional characters. Yes, I've had that moment when you finish a great book and don't know how to move on with your life after that.
Yes, I have frantically searched to obtain that one missing book from a series. Anyone that knows me well, knows that I'm talking about the elusive last two books in the Sector General series. One of which my mom found in a little bookstore, on a shelve in the back. The other one was found in America, by my sister and brother-in-law. When I got them, I actually shed a tear (or more) from pure joy. I love Sector General. Years ago, I picked up a copy at a big book-sale. It caught my eye because it's a hospital in space. I know, I know, that just screams nerd / geek. What can I say... I love sci-fi and medical stuff. Combine them and boom! Instant happy me :-)
I started reading books at the same age most people do. But I quickly started reading the more advanced books as well. I'm not always sure that that was a great idea, but hey. You love books and your parents just gave you a huge box of their old books. Then again, I read Uncle Tom's Cabin when I was ten. Bad idea. A lot of crying ensued, and my parents really had to put that one into context for me. I sincerely doubt that I'd let my kids read that book when they're ten.
But books are great. There is so much knowledge contained in the pages. And then there is that 'old book' smell. They should make a perfume like that :-)
So pick up a book today, at your local bookstore or library and whisk yourself away into another world.

No comments:

Post a Comment