Friday, May 24, 2013

Goodbye and hello

What made me happy today? Goodbye Dominic Deegan and hello Star Power! (warning: if you have not fully read Dominic Deegan, you might not want to read on, this post contains spoilers!)
A few months ago I posted about one of my favorite webcomics: . Today, after eleven years and three thousand comics, the series came to an end. And yes, I cried...
It's going to be strange without my daily Dominic fix. But I am so happy that it ended with Dominic alive! I really feared that Mookie (aka Michael Terracciano) would let Dominic die. But nope, he let him and Luna and Spark live happily ever after :-) But of course, it would not be Mookie if he didn't add sort of a cliffhanger in his last comic. There's this mysterious voice saying 'Dad! Come inside! Uncle Gregory just arrived!' to Dominic, but no mention as to who is saying this. Now, from old comics I know that Dominic and Luna were unable to have children of their own, so either they adopted or they did magically conceive. Any way, I'm happy for them, because they would make great parents.
It makes me kind of sad that the comic has ended, but I'm also happy it ended the way it did. And Michael, I don't know if you're reading this, but I just want to say: thank you! Thank you for all these years of Dominic Deegan; for the amazing journey it has been; for all the lame puns; for the drama, love, sadness, happiness and all those other emotions; for the epic 'death from above' and all those other memories / catchphrases I'll never forget. Thank you for creating such amazing characters, like Dominic, Luna, Spark, Quilt, Bort, Gregory, Stunt and Bumper, Dominic's parents... Well, all of them. Thank you for, in a way, helping me through some hard times in my life through Dominic Deegan! Thank you for not letting Dominic die! And most of all: thank you for everything!
But, as always in life: when a door closes, a window opens. Michael Terracciano has teamed up with Garth Graham to create 'Star Power', whick looks great and I'll definitely be following closely.
So this is a bit of a mixed feelings post: I'm sad that Dominic Deegan ended, but I'm happy Mookie got to end it like he wanted to and that he has a new project. But most of all I'm happy about all the memories I have about Dominic and friends, and their adventures.
And what better way to end this post than with Mookie's usual words? Rock on and geek out!

No comments:

Post a Comment