Monday, December 9, 2013

You are beautiful.

What made me happy today? You are beautiful.
Close your eyes for a moment, and think about what you don't like about yourself. How many things did you come up with?
Close your eyes again, and think about what you like about yourself. How many things did you come up with this time?
I'm going to take a guess here, but chances are that you can name a lot more things you don't like about yourself than you can name things you do like about yourself. Am I right?
Why is that? Is it because of what you see in the magazines? Look again.
Is it because of what you see in the windows of fashion stores? That's changing.
Is it because you were / are being bullied for being different? Listen to this.
You are beautiful. You really are.
Remember what Edna said about supermodels in the Incredibles? 'Supermodels. Heh! Nothing super about them... spoiled, stupid little stick figures with poofy lips who think only about themselves.' Even though this might be a bit of a harsh statement, there is a grain of truth in it. The beauty standards set out by the fashion industry and magazines is unrealistic.
Even I am influenced by all of this. For the longest time I wouldn't wear shorts, because I was scared about what people would think when they see the scars on my leg. Do you know how many bad reactions I've had about them? None. Yes, some people were looking at them, but that's unavoidable I guess.
I'm just happy to see that the tides may be turning at last. Because you are beautiful. Even if you're not a classical beauty. Even if you've always hated the way your nose looks when seen from a certain angle. Or if you don't like your freckles or scars. They're what makes you you.
And if everyone looked the same, this world would be much more boring, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment