Thursday, December 26, 2013

Stories that stay with you.

What made me happy today? Stories that stay with you.
Yesterday, it was Christmas. As we were having dinner at my parent's, my boyfriend and I were looking at some old pictures of my, my sister and my family. Thankfully, there weren't too many embarrassing pictures in there :-)
But leave it to my mother to bring up some stories from my childhood. Like the time Sinterklaas came to visit at my dad's office. We were there as well, as it was an event for the families of all employees. Sinterklaas asked my sister and me if my parents had been good all year. I shyly nodded, but my sister proceeded to tell him that our mom had, but that she wasn't so sure about my dad. This, of course, intrigued everyone. Sinterklaas asked my sister why my dad hadn't been nice, and my sister replied 'well, he snores so loudly our mommy can't sleep'! Que laughter from everyone!
Of course, there were also some stories about little me, being little miss smarty pants. I learned to talk quite young. So my after seeing a picture of me with my granddad, of whom I have no memories as he died when I wasn't even three years old, my mom told us this story.
My granddad loved to tease me. The summer before I turned two, my mom, dad and I went on vacation to the coast. (my sister hadn't been born yet) I was telling my granddad about the vacation we had planned, and how excited I was about sleeping over at the coast. But he said that that wasn't possible. So I asked him why. Well, he proceeded, your beds won't fit in the car. After which I apparently gave him a 'don't be silly' look, put my hands on my hips and said in my best admonishing tone 'But granddad, mommy and daddy have made reservations in a hotel!'. I honestly don't remember any of it, but my mom and dad swear that everyone almost fell out of their chairs from laughing too hard.
Those are the stories that will stay with you :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment