Tuesday, December 10, 2013

You make me like charity!

What made me happy today? You make me like charity!
When I opened my mailbox today, I noticed a large white envelope. I rushed upstairs (and, of course, nearly tripped over my own feet while doing so), dropped my bag and coat on the nearest chair and tore open the envelope.
Why was I so excited about a big, white envelope? Usually, the mailman brings me bills or packages. This time however, he brought me the information about the child I will be sponsoring through Plan Belgium.
Plan International is an international charity, supporting children and their communities in the South. Plan Belgium is the local chapter. They do the same thing. You can easily register on their website, if you want to support a child yourself. PLan accepts one-time donations as well.
In Belgium, you can support a child for as little as €0.83 a day. €0.83, that's not even 40 old Belgian franks. €0.83 cents is basically almost the price of a can of soda from a vending machine. And I can do without a can of soda a day.
But for the child I will be supporting, that €0.83 can make all the difference in the world. The child I sponsor is a 5-year old Nepali girl. Plan will focus on different goals in each region, depending on the most critical needs in that region. These goals can be better healthcare, access to running and clean water, building schools, reducing child labor etc. And the €0.83 cents a day do not only help the child. They also help her family and community. If Plan decides to help build a new school, the whole town can use that school. And that's why I chose to do this. Because by spending a little bit less a day myself, I can help make a huge difference in someone else's life.
Plan provides regular updates about the child you're sponsoring, and the projects they're working on in the region. That way, you can see what's been done with your support. And it just makes me happy to know I may put a smile on someone's face!

No comments:

Post a Comment