Friday, April 5, 2013

Suspended coffee

What made me happy today? Finding out that the 'suspended coffee' is spreading!
A while ago this article crossed my Facebook newsfeed. (Dutch version here)I found it to be a touching story. But being the skeptic that I am, I decided to check Snopes first. Turns out this story is true. It seems to have started in Italy, and is spreading to other countries fast. Facebook seems to be playing a big role in this.
So it totally made my day when I noticed that even Belgium is starting to catch on! And it's not only coffee, today I also stumbled across an article that mentions 'suspended fries' in the Brussels region. This last article is in Dutch but it boils down to the owner of 'Fritkot Bompa' saying that coffee isn't doing a lot, people need food as well. So he started using a coupon system. People can buy a coupon for a portion of fries, to give to a person who needs it. It's an alternative for people who don't want to give money to the needy or homeless, but want to help in other ways. He's hoping his initiative will catch on as well.
You can find a list of participants here. Please note that this is a list for the Netherlands and Belgium. Check Google for local initiatives. I'm excited to see that the number of Belgian participants is at three now, at the start of the week it was only one.
I'm happy to see this happening, as this restores a bit of my faith in humanity. There may be hope for us yet :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment