Friday, September 13, 2013

The Asylum for Wayward Victorian Girls

What made me happy today? The Asylum for Wayward Victorian Girls!
Yesterday evening, I entered The Asylum for Wayward Victorian Girls. I came out victorious. We reclaimed the Asylum!
I don't even have enough superlatives to describe Emilie Autumn's performance last night. It was an awesome, epic, amazing, touching, heart-warming, joyful, mad, insane, shenanigan-filled march to victory. It was wow, just so wow. I'm a bit hoarse today, from cheering so loudly. The crowd took a little while to get warmed up, but by the end of the show, it seemed like the whole room just exploded.
The songs were great, and well-performed. The acts were mesmerizing. And a bit creepy. I added a picture below of the black creature that took the stage during 'the scavenger'... There were loads of shenanigans, but also some very touching, tender and heart-warming moments. The best moment of the show? For me that was when Emilie herself was standing right in front of me. She looked right at me. Her eyes briefly flitted down to the heart I'd drawn on my cheek. Her eyes got that look of recognition in them, she briefly smiled at me and nodded lightly as if she tried to say 'keep fighting sister'. I felt so connected to her at that moment.
The show started with 'F.L.A.G.' and ended with 'One foot'. And then it was over. The crowd exploded. We kept applauding, cheering, whistling. And then Emilie and the bloody crumpets came out again. Emilie started talking about how amazing we were. About how all of us Plague Rats were special. And how she always loved the girl Plague Rats, but how the gentlemen were her heroes. She thanked the audience for being there, for giving her a home and a chance to do all of this. She made me tear up...
I don't know if she'll ever read this, but in case she does, I'd love to say this to Emilie: it's us, your Plague Rats, who should be thanking you. I've been a fan of you since Enchant. I love your music, I love your look, I love the way you don't hesitate to speak your mind. So thank you for the wonderful music you make. Thank you for sharing your talent with the world. Thank you for the amazing shows you bring. And most of all: thank you for helping me through a lot of things with your music. Thank you.

And now it's time for the photo bombardment!


And my new tank-top!

No comments:

Post a Comment