Sunday, September 8, 2013

Teach me

What made me happy today? A whole day of training!
Usually, I don't do all that much on a Sunday. I'll do the chores I couldn't finish on Saturday, I'll read or watch some tv, and in the evening I meet up with some friends for our Vampire role-play.
This Sunday was different. I had to get up at 7 in the morning and drive to an army base. Why you ask? Well, for a whole day of training! And it was fun. A lot of jokes were made, especially about the food. Some of us (me included) weren't informed about the fact that a lunch would be provided. Now, an army provided lunch sounds kind of scary. But one of our instructors managed to put us at ease, after a few jokes about us having to peel potatoes, dehydrated food and emergency rations. Turns out they had a caterer provide a three-course meal. The soup was delicious, the potatoes were slightly overcooked, the beans were great, I didn't eat the meat and the dessert was a waffle.
It was a fun group, we all got along nicely. And in the afternoon, I kind of got singled out, along with one other guy. As you know, I'm a nurse. He drives an ambulance. All of the other people in the class don't have a medical background, so they'll need to take additional classes. The ambulance guy has to take a few extra ones, but I'm now done with basic training and can move on to anything I like basically.
But the funniest part was when they were explaining the symbols on the shoulder patches. Both instructors had a gold star on theirs. I, as a nurse, will get a set of stripes, equal to the ones a sergeant-major first class would get in the land-component of the army. But, as I am a nurse, and they're logistic support, they'd have to listen to me. Which I found rather odd, as I don't have all that much experience with the Red Cross yet, and they've been doing this for a long time. Hilarity all around, because that made me the highest rank in the whole room. I didn't find it all that funny, but yeah.
All in all, I had a great time!

No comments:

Post a Comment